You can restart a Windows XP Pro and Home machine easily by creating a shortcut with following path. (Assume you installed Windows XP on your C: Partition)
- "c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -r -f -t 00" -r is for restarting the computer.
- -f is to force close all programs without saving.
- -t 00 is used to restart in zero seconds. i.e. as soon as you D.Click on the shortcut.
- You can log off from a Windows XP Professional or Home edition by running "C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -l -f -t 00".
- Also you can shutdown a Windows XP Home or Professional edition by running "c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00".
- You always have to turn from the CPU after running this command. (Same with AT and ATX powered machines.)
- If you want to turn down power of ATX machine automatically, run "c:\windows\system32\tsshutdn.exe 00 /POWERDOWN /DELAY:00" This is used to turn off a server.
- Even though your computer will be shutdown completely, this whole operation will take 30 seconds to finish. Even though you don't have networked computers attached to your computer, this works.